Samples are my weakness… I get so giddy when the girls at Sephora stuff a few samples into my bag, I don’t even really care what it is! I think many others feel the same way, as evident by the skyrocketing number of sample subscription services in the beauty industry (and other industries, for that matter).
Beauty Box 5 is a USA & Canadian sample subscription service that delivers 4-5 samples to your door for $12 per month (with discounted prices for quarterly and yearly memberships). Their brand list includes some common brands like Becca, Rosebud, Skyn, and It’s a 10, as well as some other smaller, up-and-coming brands.
I tried out the box to see how it compares to other beauty services (such as Luxe Box, Top Box, BirchBox, etc). The cute Tiffany-blue box came with the samples in a separate drawstring back, well packed in the box. My box included:
- Tree Hut Brazilian Nut Shea Body Butter
- Comodynes Self-Tanning Towelette
- It’s A 10 Miracle Styling Serum & Miracle Hair Mask
- Merlot Moonlight Radiance Night Cream
- Evie Evan Firm & Repair Throat Creme
Not a bad set of samples, in fact It’s A 10 is one of my new favorite hair care brands and I’m quite excited to try out these products because I haven’t yet!
At $12 per box, it’s really competing against (actually costing even more than) some of the top subscription services out there, that contain top brands like Benefit, Essie, Lancome, Stila, NARS and more.
Also, I really dislike seeing “free samples” in these subscription boxes, and even three packs does not equal one deluxe sample in my mind. Anything that I can walk up to a counter and ask for a free sample of, should not come in one of these boxes (to me, that is a single sample that allows for 1-2 weeks worth of use). While some of these samples are deluxe from this kit, I believe they should all be if it is actually being purchased.
- Price: $12 USD for 1 month, $30 USD for 3 months or $100 for 12 months
- Availability: Beauty Box 5
- Overall: Not a bad subscription service if you’d like to try out some different brands, but I definitely would like to see more deluxe samples instead of several ‘free samples’ of a particular product.
- Rating: B+