The Bobbi Brown Holiday 2012 Collection includes two Bobbi Brown Eye Palettes ($47.50 USD / $55.50 CAD), including the warm & smoky Rich Caviar palette (shown here) as well as a cool, mauve-based Black Pearl palette. Each palette features six eyeshadows in a slim, black compact with a double-ended applicator and large interior mirror. This limited-edition collection features a huge variety of beautiful gifts at every price point, so be sure to check out the whole collection here.
I find Bobbi Brown palettes to be a little hit or miss- usually containing a few amazing textures and a few not-so-thrilling ones. I’m usually in awe of the shade selection though, so it can be disappointing when some aren’t as pigmented or smooth as you first hoped. This palette is different- every eye shadow is perfectly pigmented, rich and smooth.
This palette contains 3 mattes, two metallic shimmers and one sparkle glitter shadow- the perfect balance of texture in my opinion. Variation in texture allows for many more combinations and looks- so this palette is perfect for that!
The shades include:
- Bone: Bobbi’s famous off-white matte cream shade; perfect for highlighting the brow bone or a wash all over the lid for a brightening, yet matte look.
- Candle Light: A mid-tone metallic shimmering gold; the perfect hint of brightening eyeshadow for the eyelid as a wash of color.
- Wheat: Medium, matte ash beige; this one is a bit more difficult to work with, but works well as a subtle crease contour or blending eyeshadow.
- Olive Tree: A beautiful sparkling olive green with gold glitter. The most difficult to work with because of fall-out, but significantly more pigmented than most sparkle eyeshadows I’ve tried from Bobbi.
- Black Topaz: Deep, metallic green with gold shimmer. The perfect green smoky shade for a sultry look.
- Rich Caviar: A deep, rich matte espresso shade; perfect for lining the eyes and smudging for a smoky look.
I haven’t ever been so in love with a Bobbi Brown Eye Palette. I love the shades, the textures and the variety! Try these looks combinations:
- Simple & Sophisticated: Apply Bone all over the lid, Wheat in the crease and softly line the lashline with Rich Caviar.
- Everyday Chic: Apply Candle Light as a wash all over the lid and blend (carefully) Rich Caviar into the outer 1/3 for depth and definition. Highlight the brow bone with Bone.
- Smoky & Sultry: Apply Olive Tree all over the lid and blend Black Topaz into the outer 1/3 and crease. Line the lashline with Rich Caviar and smudge it out for a smoky look. Highlight the brow bone with Bone and apply a hint of shimmer with Candle Light at the inner corner.
Those are just three that I can think of by looking at the palette- I’m sure there are many more to come up with after playing with it for a while! The mirror on the interior is nice and large, perfect for traveling! The included double-ended brush doesn’t replace a standard brush set, but it’s good enough quality that I won’t toss it (like I usually do). I also love the “Bobbi Brown” crest on top of the palette… I think it adds a luxurious twist!
I find that Bobbi’s eyeshadows fade on me after a few hours in general (especially the light matte shades), so be sure to use a primer that will lock them down for all-day, crease free wear. Perfect for the holidays as a gift (even if it’s to yourself)!
- Price: $47.50 USD / $55.50 CAD
- Availability: Sephora
- Overall: One of the best, most consistent Bobbi Brown Eye Palettes I’ve ever tried. The warm, neutral shades are stunning with intense, rich pigmentation and varied textures. The slim compact is beautiful all on its own, and I love the endless color combination possibilities. Primer is needed, and the glitter shade does have fall out, but overall it’s a fantastic palette.
- Rating: A-