Brand new from Buxom (sister brand of mineral makeup legend Bare Escentuals), these 5-shade Color Choreography Eyeshadow Palettes are simply stunning! Exclusive to Sephora, these palettes feature a variety of color-coordinating shades with varying textures within each palette, including mattes, shimmers and glitters. The palettes are a glossy black plastic with a good magnetic closure… they look sleek, but are also magnets for fingerprints!
If you’ve ever tried the Bare Escentuals bareMinerals BE Ready Eyeshadows (which I reviewed here), than you’ll already know what these ones feel like. The pressed mineral formula is richly pigmented and blends every-so-smoothly onto your lids. They have the pigmentation of a loose pigment, with the ease and convenience of a pressed eyeshadow. Plus, the shimmery shades can be used wet to foil them, or give them a more opaque and metallic appearance. These ones are more expensive but they do a) contain much more product, and b) feature five shades rather than four.
The palettes come with five shades, each of them with 1-2 matte shades, 2-3 shimmer shades and 1 glitter shade. All of the colors work really nicely together, whether they are contrasting for a bold look, or similar for a sophisticated finish. I found the shimmer shades to have the best pigmentation, followed by the matte shades, and then the glitter shades. I really think that the glitter shades are best used wet with the angled brush to create an eyeliner, because I found them quite difficult to use as an eyeshadow. Speaking of the included double-ended brush (which I usually toss without giving a second though), these are actually quite good. One side is a flat shader brush and the other is an angled liner brush… and work surprisingly well to apply, foil, blend and line with the eyeshadows!
I’d call this one “the neutral palette” out of them all. It contains brown, beige and pink tones that work together for a soft daytime look or a sultry neutral smoky eye. I like how this palette contains two matte shades, which makes it much more appropriate for daytime. This palette includes:
- Jive: a shimmery peachy pink
- Flip: a warm, soft matte brown
- Shag: a shimmery pink-beige
- Toss: a matte yellow buttercream
- Jitterbug: a glittery deep brown with gold sparkle
A little more of a daring palette, this one combines an unexpected range of shades. With greyish blues, gold and taupe, this one may take a little more creativity to master… but it’s really interesting when you do! I was a little more disappointed with the matte shade in this palette, as I was expecting more pigmentation (as I had seen in the BE Ready palettes). This palette includes:
- Scratch: A mid-tone greyish blue shimmer
- Pop: A shimmery burgundy taupe
- Grind: A matte baby blue
- Bump: A frosted yellow gold
- Lock: A dark backened-navy with silver sparkle
Look Book: Color Choreography
Look Book: Hip Hop
- Price: $36 USD / $43 CAD for 0.26oz / 7.5g
- Availability: Sephora
- Selection: Six palettes in total (see them all here)
- Overall: These eyeshadows are very comparable to the bareMinerals BE Ready eyeshadows, but I love the variety of textures within one palette (ie. matte, shimmer and glitters). They are richly pigmented and glide on like butter- definitely worth investing in one or two of these palettes. Some of the matte shades lack more pigment than I was expecting, but overall they are excellent palettes.
- Rating: A