Put on your khaki shorts and grab those binoculars, we’re going on a Safari… the China Glaze On Safari Collection for Fall 2012, that is! If you can get over the fact that we’re already looking at Fall collections (I’m still trying to process it)… you might find a couple polishes to add to your collection from this set.
The collection features twelve nail polishes; eight cremes, two shimmers and two glitters. The shades range from muted lights to vampy darks- I was quite surprised at the variety of the collection. The polishes are very earthy, yet still trendy for the fall season.
I found quite a bit of inconsistency between the shades; I don’t understand why two shades that are both fairly light can be so different in texture and pigmentation. Overall, these polishes were good with 2-3 coats, and I did like some of the more unique shades. If I had to choose my top three, they would be I’m Not Lion, Elephant Walk and Desert Sun.
This collection includes:
- Desert Sun: A creamy pumpkin orange; this one had fairly good pigmentation and I would say that it is one of the more unique shades of the collection. I think it is very appropriate for fall!
- Elephant Walk: One of my favourites out of the collection! A slightly shimmery blue-grey. It really does remind me of the color of an elephant!
- Prey Tell: An extremely vampy deep red; it actually looked like blood when I was applying it (that kind of turned me off a bit, but I’m sure some would love it). I found it to be quite streaky too, and once I gave it three coats for a good opacity, it looked almost black.
- I’m Not Lion: My absolute top pick! This gorgeous polish has a silver base with multicoloured micro glitter. It does take three thin coats for full opacity, but it looks so incredible! Love!
- Purr-fect Plum: A creamy, mid-tone purple. Not the most unique shade, especially for a fall collection, but still pretty none-the-less.
- Exotic Encounters: In love with this shade as well; it’s a creamy teal green that is also really unique. I think it will be a nice compliment to the fall season while still giving a pop of color to your look.
- Kalahari Kiss: A greyish yellow cream; not the most flattering shade, but if you’re into unique colors- you’ll love this one. I haven’t ever seen anything like it, and it does have a very safari-esque feel!
- Aventure Red-y: Probably the most common shade out of the collection; it’s a nice deep red, but not a must-have!
- Jungle Queen: A pretty greyish purple with bright violet reflects. This one was super streaky, but with three coats it turned out decent.
- I Herd That: The second glitter polish; just as beautiful as I’m Not Lion, but on the warm side. This one has an orange base with gold and a bit of multicoloured glitter in it.
- Man Hunt: A gorgeous, pigmented inky blue! Reminds me a bit of YSL Bleu Majorelle, but obviously much kinder on the wallet! I think this shade is going to be huge for fall!
- Call of the Wild: A deep chocolate brown; I’m not one for brown polishes, but this one is quite chic. It has great pigmentation as well- so if you’re looking for an alternative to a deep red vampy shade, check out this one!
- Price: $7 USD / $8 CAD for 0.5oz / 14mL
- Availability: Sally Beauty Supply (SpaBoutique.ca for Canadians)
- Overall: A few exciting finds in this collection, but nothing life-changing. I really like the earthy, greyish shades in the collection- but I also found that there were some common shades. The pigmentation varies quite a bit in this collection, so check out swatches if you can’t try them first!
- Rating: A-