Ohhh metallic nail polishes, how you remind me of middle school. I remember reaching for my Rimmel 30 silver metallic nail polish often, so when I saw the Essie Mirror Metallics Collection for Summer 2012 (available later this month)… I got all nostalgic! Looks like metallics are heading back into style, but this time in softer, more sophisticated hues.
This collection features five new, limited-edition nail polishes- and let me tell you, the formula is amazing! I find metallic nail polishes to be incredible in general… they dry faster, are usually super pigmented (I can totally get away with one coat with some shades) and smoothen out nicely on their own. These polishes are no different and the line is very consistent.
The shades are:
- No Place Like Chrome: Richly oxidized nickel; probably my least favorite out of the bunch, mainly because it reminds me of the silver polishes I used to use back in middle school. I can see this working nicely for a fancy formal event though.
- Good As Gold: A soft, muted gold; this is so much more wearable than some other gold nail polishes I’ve come across. It looks sophisticated and totally gorgeous for summer!
- Penny Talk: Described as an incandescent copper, this shade looks completely different in real life than in the promo images (or the description for that matter)! It’s by far my absolute favorite shade in the collection, because it looks like a stunning rose gold. This one is going to be super popular…I just know it! So grab it quick before it sells out.
- Nothing Else Metals: Chrome lilac; this shade is for the purple lovers out there! While it’s not one of my favourites… it’s still pretty and would also look great for a party or formal event.
- Blue Rhapsody: A beautiful muted blue; I love the greyish tones in this shade and I find it makes “blue nail polish” so much more wearable. Another favorite in this collection!
These polishes wear for a good four days without chipping (with a base & top coat, of course) but even if they do, I find them easy to touch up. Metallic polishes are by far the most fool-proof out there, and each one of these shades maintains all the same qualities! Like I said, Penny Talk is going to be super hot I just know it- rose gold is one of the hottest metals of the moment so a shade this close to the actual metal is going to fly off the shelves.
- Price: $8 USD / $10 CAD for 0.5oz / 13.5mL
- Availability: June 2012, drugstores & Essie retailers
- Selection: Five limited edition shades (all shown here)
- Overall: If you’re into metallic nail polish, you’re going to love this collection. It’s a soft, sophisticated twist on the metallic polishes we loved 10 years ago. Metallic polishes are totally fool-proof… they dry fast, smooth out nicely and are super pigmented. Make sure to grab Penny Talk right away if you’re thinking about it- I’m predicting this shade is going to fly off the shelves because it’s such a beautiful rose gold.
- Rating: A