There really are no words to describe how beautiful this luxury piece is from the Giorgio Armani Écailles Collection for Summer 2012… Just as one would invest into a designer handbag or shoes, luxury items pop up from time to time in the cosmetic industry and this gorgeous Giorgio Armani Ecailles Luxury Edition Eye Palette ($150 CDN, available in May 2012 at Holt Renfrew), one of only 4000 made worldwide, is a stunning example. Let’s look more into it…
The packaging is really what takes this eyeshadow palette from being a regular high end quad into a stunning piece of art. Packaged in a sleek black box and velvet sleeve, the black lacquered compact is adorned with gorgeous handcrafted black mother-of-pearl. This piece is so stunning, I hardly want to touch it… I would rather decorate my apartment with it. The magnetic-closure case opens up to reveal the gorgeous sea-inspired shades.
The eyeshadow palette contains four eyeshadows, just like classic Giorgio Armani Eye Palettes. Two of the shades have 0.3g / 0.01oz (the top and bottom shades) and two have 0.7g / 0.02oz. The colors themselves don’t have names, so I will describe them based on their official descriptions:
- Algae: This top shade is a gorgeous petrol blue; a stunning outer corner shade or even as an eyeliner.
- Deep Sea Blue: The post pigmented shade in the bunch; a beautiful blue crease shade.
- Turqoise: My favorite color out of them all- a gorgeous light turquoise with almost a hint of mint. Very frosty too.
- White: My least favorite and the least pigmented shade… a little chunky as well.
The eyeshadows themselves vary quite a bit in pigmentation and quality I find. The middle two shades (the ones with the most product) are stunning- deeply pigmented and smooth as butter to blend. The smaller dark shade is pretty good as well, but requires a bit more packing on and unfortunately the white one didn’t impress me at all. It was quite chalky, chunky and flaky…I wish that it would have been a creamy matte white to balance some of the other frosty shades. Having said that, the top three shades are stunning and incredible- and they make a gorgeous look on their own.
The eyeshadows have a really great lasting power… even without a primer, they didn’t budge on me for at least 6 hours. With some UDPP- they looked flawless all day long. Of course, the price is a huge road bump for those who are in love with the look of the palette… keep in mind though, “value” is subjective. While it may be too expensive for some, it would be in someone else’s budget and I try to keep that in mind. That’s why I don’t comment on the “value” of items…that’s for you to decide. Just like someone would purchase a Louis Vuitton purse (obviously a lot more expensive than a regular purse), you’re paying for the name and luxury of the item.
- Price: $150 CDN for 2 x 0.3g / 0.01oz and 2 x 0.7g / 0.02oz
- Availability: Holt Renfrew and other Giorgio Armani Beauty counters starting May 2012.
- Selection: This is the only luxury edition eye palette from the collection, however there will be a classic edition (see more here).
- Overall: A stunning mother-of-pearl package with four beautiful sea-inspired shades within. Three of the shades are smooth, blendable and pigmented while the white shade disappointed in all categories. A limited-edition luxury item.
- Rating: B+