I’m fairly new to the Hourglass brand, but what I’ve tried so far has really blown me away (especially their lip glosses), so I was super excited to try out a few of their new Hourglass Opaque Rouge Liquid Lipsticks ($28 USD / $33 CAD). Available in 9 shades, these long-wearing liquid lip colors look like little lip glosses, but man they pack a good punch of color!
Each flattened tube (perfect for pockets or small clutches) has a flattened doe-foot applicator (my favorite type of applicator) for applying the light liquid lip colors. They dry to a matte finish which I must say, does feel quite drying, but the lasting power they have makes it work it! Not to mention if Emily Blunt looks this good wearing Canvas, I can totally wear it too.
The three shades I have are…
- Icon: A deep, blue-based red. I really love this shade; it makes your teeth look white and I feel totally confident wearing such a bold shade.
- Riviera: A super striking orange- not for the shy girl! This orange packs a crazy punch… and even though I love orange lips, this one might be just a little too much for me.
- Canvas: A beautiful, soft rose beige. Looks totally natural and elegant! Top it off with a bit of gloss for the perfect compliment to a smoky eye.
I’d love to see the shade range extended a bit- perhaps some hot pink or pale nude shades! The pigmentation is incredible and they are super long-wearing, and they do contain some skin-conditioning emollients to help protect the lips (but if you’re not a fan of any dryness, you’ll want to top it off with a gloss or balm for sure). Not sure if they last the entire 14 hours they claim to, but they certainly make it through breakfast and lunch without a hitch.
- Price: $28 USD / $33 CAD for 0.1oz / 3g
- Availability: Sephora
- Selection: See all 9 shades here
- Overall: Incredibly pigmented and long-wearing, but these matte lip colors may be a little uncomfortable for those who need a little extra hydration on their lips. They last hours even through eating and drinking, so they’re definitely great for the office or a night out!
- Rating: A-