Kat Von D, the famous tattoo artist, is launching a few new additions to her exclusive Sephora line next month, of which the Kat Von D Mini True Romance Eyeshadow Palettes ($24 CDN each, USD pricing will be updated when I know it) are included. Coming in two varieties, Little Saint (shown here) and Little Sinner, each palette features four eyeshadows in complimentary shades.
The box and palette are both quite similar to the original True Romance eyeshadow palettes that Kat Von D has released in the past, only these are just a bit smaller. The box and palette both feature a gorgeous floral design, drawn by Kat Von D herself. The palette itself is super sleek and small, yet each eyeshadow is relatively large (which I like- small packaging, big product). The palette also features a full mirror on the lid of the compact, and the detailing on the bottom. Purse-perfect and great for travel.
The eyeshadows vary in texture and shade, however I found most of them to be shimmery. In this palette, the light beige shade is more of a matte texture, and even though the brand says they can be used wet or dry, I highly advise against this with the matte eyeshadow. Using matte eyeshadows (even mineral ones) makes them cakey, muddy and overall not as nice as when shimmery ones are used matte.
The shades are beautiful- this palette is really a sultry, smoky combination of blue, purple, brown and beige. I also think they were very carefully though out, because each shade pairs perfectly with any of the other ones…so the combinations and possibilities are really endless. The eyeshadows themselves are velvety and quite pigmented (the matte one not as much, but still nice). They blend well on the lid and have pretty decent lasting power, however I always recommend to use a primer underneath. Using them wet really helps to bring out a more intense color and texture, with a more metallic finish (especially with the brown and purple shades.
- Be Mine: A pale biege shade with a matte finish. The least pigmented overall, however it does create a good base all over the lid, or as a highlighter on the brow bone.
- Empathy: A lavender blue shade; quite unique and sultry with its greyish undertones. Looks great all over the lid or blended with a neutral color.
- Hummingbird: A warm bronze shade. Becomes super bold and metallic when used wet, but I prefer to use it in the crease. Super smooth!
- Pray For Me: A muted, deep purple shade that is great for a quick smoky eye. Also increases in intensity dramatically when used wet- and almost becomes a blackened purple.
- Price: $24 CDN for 4 x 0.05oz / 1.4g
- Availability: Sephora (May 2012)
- Overall: A really nice palette with shades that go together really nicely. Smoky, sultry, with cool colors and warm neutrals, the combinations are endless. The eyeshadows are quite pigmented, but really come out when used wet (avoid using the matte shade wet). I love how sleek the palette is while still having a good amount of product.
- Rating: A