The MAC Chenman Love and Water Collection for Spring 2012 was launched on March 1, 2012… and let me just say that I’ve been incredibly pleased with MAC Collections this season. MAC Shop MAC Cook MAC really kicked it all off into high gear, and I’ve been loving all the shades and textures that have been released afterwards. This collection in particular left me in lusting after each product at first sight of the photos, and now I have a few items from the collection to share with you! Chen Man is a Chinese fashion photography star, and her collaboration with MAC was inspired by her fascination with love and water producing this bold yet sensual color collection. Let’s check them out!
Not every limited edition collection with MAC comes with special packaging, but this one does. The beautiful shades of black, blue, white and coral flow beautifully on all the different packaging types- the pattern looks to me like dilute water color paint or ink dropped into water. Either way, its a gorgeous marbling effect and it also has the Chenman logo on the front of the packaging too. The sleeves come off to reveal the typical MAC packaging underneath.
Two MAC Lipglasses ($14.50 USD / $17.50 CDN each) were released in this collection. I’ve always been a huge fan of MAC Lipglass. Some find it to be too sticky or tacky, while I don’t mind the texture of it because it means that it lasts a long time on my lips and can provide some excellent pigmentation with certain shades. They have the classic hint of vanilla scent, typical of most MAC lip products. The two Lipglass shades match the two Lipstick shades released in the collection as well (both in name and color).
- Budding Love: A milky, pale lavendar shade. A beautiful pigmented shade, but because of it’s milky texture, it did seem to enhance the creases of my lips quite a bit. The best way to overcome this is to only use a tiny bit of gloss. If you like the color, its best to pair it with the matching Lipstick and use a very tiny bit.
- Force of Love: A gorgeous vivid pink shade with silver sparkle. Love the pigmentation on this one- it’s enough to show up on my lips without being too difficult to apply on the go. Reminds me of hibiscus flowers and vibrant Spring shades!
Two MAC Lipsticks ($14.50 USD / $17.50 CDN) were released in this collection, but I only have one of them to show you here. The lipsticks match the Lipglasses, so it’s pretty easy to use your imagination! This shade in Budding Loveis a Lustre finish, meaning it is a bit more on the sheer side (yet still wonderfully pigmented with a few layers) and it leaves a hint of sheen on the lips too. Lustre formulas are one of my favorite because they are so easy and fool-proof to apply. This is the same pale, milky lavender shade (and it has totally made me fall in love with lavender lips) as the Lipglass, only it doesn’t seep into lip creases as easily.
One MAC Reflects Glitter ($20 USD / $24 CDN) was released in this collection. This shade in Reflects Blueis permanent to the MAC Pro line. The sparkling blue shade is a lot more subtle than most MAC glitters as it really just looks like white powder with a hint of blue and violet reflect depending on the light. It’s beautiful, but something that I would really only use to add some extra dimension to eyeshadow, nail polish or lipgloss, it’s really not enough on its own to make an effect.
- Price: Lipglass ($14.50 USD / $17.50 CDN for 0.17oz / 4.8g), Lipstick ($14.50 USD / $17.50 for 0.1oz / 3g) and Glitter ($20 USD / $24 CDN for 0.15oz / 4.5g)
- Availability: MAC
- Selection: View the entire collection here
- Overall: I’ve totally become a huge fan of pale, lavender lips after using Budding Love lipstick which goes on smoothly with just enough pigmentation and comfort. Budding Love lipglass was the same beautiful shade, but settled into lip creases too easily. Force of Love lipglass is a new favorite of mine- the vibrant pink reminds me of spring flowers! Reflects Blue glitter is pretty, but quite subtle for a glitter- I’d only use it to add a bit of sparkle to other products, but not alone.
- Rating: Lipglass in Budding Love (B+), Lipglass in Force of Love (A), Lipstick in Budding Love (A-), Reflects Glitter in Reflects Blue (B)