The MAC Fabulousness Collection for Holiday 2012 includes two three Fabulousness Compacts ($39.50 USD / $47.50 CAD), each containing 5 different eyeshadows in a variety of textures. Each palette has a different color theme, including 5 Warm Eyes (gold compact), 5 Neutral Eyes (green compact) and 5 Smoky Eyes (pink compact). I have one palette to show you today, but you can also see the rest of the collection here. This limited-edition collection is available now from MAC.
It really doesn’t get much more cute than these satin pillow-like compacts with plastic bow detailing. So feminine and girly! Each compact has an interior mirror with a magnetic closure, and each palette comes with a mini 213SE eyeshadow brush as well. Each palette includes five shades (three larger shades and two smaller shades).
The 5 Smoky Eyes Palette includes…
- Taupeless: An icy lavender pink Lustre
- Satin Taupe: A true taupe Frost
- Love Spice: A mid-tone, rosy pink Frost
- Spellcaster: A plum aubergine Matte
- Black Slip: A rich, blackened plum Veluxe Pearl
Eyeshadow palettes like these are a yearly tradition for MAC. Even the palette color schemes are the same, but the colors and packaging vary from year to year. I’ve never been incredible impressed with these palettes though, as I find that they usually include just one or two fabulous eyeshadows amongst some mediocre ones (or even awful ones).
This palette isn’t any different this year, unfortunately. While I absolutely adore the packaging… and I will probably keep it in my purse just to use the mirror, the eyeshadows are disappointing. I do like the shade range, but for a Smoky Eyes palette, I wish they would have been more grey/pewter in tone instead of purple.
While Satin Taupe is an all-time favorite of mine… it, along with Love Spice and Black Slip, are pretty much the only quality shades in this palette. Taupeless is a sheer Lustre (which I purposefully never buy because I’m not a fan of the chunky, chalky texture) and Spellcaster is super chalky and hard to blend.
The palette is quite hit-or-miss… and at a price point like the one it has, I want to absolutely love all of the shades in the palette. I could definitely pull out a pretty look from it- but it’s not very universal nor does it provide many look possibilities. I’d pass in favor of some of the other Fabulousness palettes if you’re really loving the packaging!
- Price: $39.50 USD / $47.50 CAD
- Availability: MAC
- Selection: Available in 5 Warm Eyes, 5 Neutral Eyes and 5 Smoky Eyes (shown here)
- Overall: Just as I suspected, this palette is very hit or miss. Some of the shades are beautiful, pigmented and buttery smooth (the Frost and Veluxe Pearl shades really) but the others (Lustre and Matte) shades lack pigmentation and are difficult to apply. Even though the packaging is irresistible, it’s still hard to justify a high price tag if only some of the shades are decent.
- Rating: B-