The MAC Glamour Daze Collection for Holiday 2012 includes eight MAC Extra Dimension Eye Shadows ($19.50 USD / $22.50 CAD), a pearly-textured, cream-powder eyeshadow in various colors. I have five shades to show you today, but you can see the full collection here. This large collection has a very sweet, feminine theme with pearl textures, sweet, indulgent hues and glossy black packaging. This limited-edition collection is available now from MAC.
This collection re-promotes the Extra Dimension texture that we saw back in Spring from the MAC In Extra Dimension Collection, only these particular ones are much smaller- and it’s quite frustrating as they aren’t significantly cheaper despite the change (you’re paying $0.50 USD / $1.50 CAD less for about half of the previous size). This unique cream-powder texture impressed me the first time I saw them, and they still impress me now!
The shades include:
- A Natural Flirt: A soft, peachy nude (really looks more peach-y when swatched)
- Evening Grey: A steel silver
- Stolen Moment: A dark taupe
- Divine Blue: A mid-tone aqua (this one had slightly less pigmentation, but was still buildable)
- Round Midnight: A dark burgundy
I found the original eyeshadows to be very frosty and shimmery, while these have a bit more of a satin texture. They still have the same cool, creamy texture (it almost feels a bit ’wet’ when you touch it) and excellent color pay-off. All of the shades were consistently high quality, which I’m very happy to see.
The powder has a cool 3D embossed texture to it and they can be used either wet or dry (both ways have beautiful pigmentation though). I do find that you need a primer with this formula though, if you want it to stay on all day. They are incredibly easy to blend and really make the eyes pop- I’m a huge fan! My favorite shades are definitely Evening Grey (perfect for smoky eyes) and A Natural Flirt (a great, brightening wash of color all over the lid).
The glossy black packaging is pretty much identical to what we saw from the MAC Marilyn Monroe Collection- except this one doesn’t have any special sticky or decal. I wasn’t a fan of the glossy black packaging in that collection, but I actually don’t mind it in this one (it must have been the Marilyn design that made them look a little cheap and tacky).
- Price: $19.50 USD / $22.50 CAD for 0.04oz / 1.3g
- Availability: MAC
- Overall: I’m still a huge fan of the soft, pigmented textures but it’s disappointing to seeing such a dramatic decrease in size without a significant price drop. The shades are beautiful but they do need a primer to stay put all day. I do like how they can be used wet or dry too!
- Rating: A