Ever since seeing the official press release, I couldn’t wait to try out the new Extra Dimension formulas from the MAC In Extra Dimension Collection for Spring 2012 (sorry it’s going up so late- my samples got stuck in customs). MAC comes out with so many collections a year month, it can sometimes be hard to get excited, but when they release collections like this with new formulations…I go nuts! This one features their new, limited edition liquid-powder highlighters and eyeshadows!
Both the skinfinishes and eyeshadows resemble their permanent line counterparts in terms of aesthetic of the packaging. The simple and classic black MAC packaging is present for both, with no special designs or sleeves. The Extra Dimension Skinfinishes are the same size as the regular mineralized ones, however the Extra Dimension Eyeshadows are slightly larger than regular MAC eyeshadows, leaning more towards the size of the larger Pro Longwear ones. The powders themselves are beautiful, with half of the powder imprinted with the MAC logo, and the other half sculpted into a 3D wave-like design.
The Extra Dimension Skinfinishes ($28 USD / $34 CDN) are soft, creamy “liquid-powders” (as MAC likes to call them) with a highly reflective finish. Even though they are so metallic, they don’t look shimmery or glittery on the skin. They give a beautiful glow- and they are pretty pigmented so a little goes a long way. The powders are soft and creamy to the touch, although I don’t find they have as much moisture in them as the Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill eyeshadows.
These highlighters are pretty amazing, I love the soft effect it gives to the skin without looking over-done or oily. They really blend nicely into the skin instead of sitting on top, which I find can be a problem with a lot of powder highlighters. The collection includes three different shades:
- Whisper of Gilt: A pale, gold champagne shade. This one is my favorite because I find that it looks the most natural on my light skin.
- Superb: A mid-tone cool rose shade. Another great shade for light skin tones… and I even like to use this one as eyeshadow!
- Glorify: A warm, bronzy shade. Super pigmented, and doesn’t look quite right alone on my light skin, but would work great for deeper skin tones as a highlighter. I prefer to use it sparingly on top of my bronzer in areas I want to glow more.
Ten Extra Dimension Eyeshadows ($20 USD / $24 CDN) complete this collection, and they are practically an identical formula to the skin finishes, just in smaller compacts. They can be used wet or dry, which is always nice to have the option (using them with a damp brush gives a much more intense, metallic finish). I did experience some fading when worn alone without a primer, however that’s typical for me and I always use my Urban Decay Primer Potion first.
The texture is amazing… I love being able to pack on a shade all over the lid with no fall out! The blend flawlessly, however because they are all really metallic and shimmery (the black one in the collection is noted as a “glow” finish instead of “metallic”, but unfortunately I don’t have that one to compare), I wouldn’t use them all over the eye. I prefer to use them as a wash of color on the lid, blending the crease and highlight with other products. The three shades i’ve been testing are:
- Modern Pewter: My absolute favorite shade (I had my eye on this one since I first heard of the collection)! I love colors in the pewter family, and this one has an antique gold-green undertone which gives it such a unique appearance. Love it!
- Blue Orbit: A soft periwinkle blue. Looks great as a lower lash line pop of color!
- Lunar: An amazing deep, navy blue. This shade makes the modern, coloured smoky eye a total cinch! Sweep it all over the lid and smudge some black eyeliner alone the lash line and voila!
- Price: $20 USD / $24 CDN for 0.7oz / 2g (Extra Dimension Eyeshadows) and $28 USD / $34 CDN for 0.31oz / 9g (Extra Dimension Skinfinishes)
- Availability: MAC (Limited Edition)
- Overall: I’m totally impressed by this formula, and I hope that MAC decides to re-visit it again soon. Definitely a powder, but with a creamy, cool touch that blends beautifully and really merges with the skin well. The Extra Dimension Skinfinishes leave a beautiful glow on the skin without looking chunky or powdery, and I love Whisper of Gilt the most (the other two have quite a bit of color to them). The Extra Dimension Eyeshadows do fade without a primer, but I love the fact they can be used wet or dry. I love the unique shades of this collection, especially Modern Pewter.
- Rating: A