The MAC Marilyn Monroe Collection for Fall 2012 includes five MAC Lipsticks ($16.50 USD / $20 CAD each); one nude and four variations of red. The collection features limited-edition glossy black tubes with a Marilyn Monroe image & red signature over the MAC logo. I have the four red lipsticks to show you here, but I have reviewed Pure Zen (the nude lipstick) in the past here. You can also see more information on the full collection here.
I think these lipsticks were one of the most anticipated products in the collection- the classic “Marilyn Red Lip” is so iconic, so I do love how the collection included a few variations of that iconic shade so everyone could find one that best suits them.
The lipsticks include…
- Scarlet Ibis: A bright, matte orange red- great for those who want to ease into wearing orange shades but need a little bit of a transition.
- Love Goddess: A mid-tone pink red- definitely more on the pink side. Comfortable wear with a slight sheen because it is a Satin texture.
- Charmed I’m Sure: A deep, true red- clean, classic and my favorite matte red out of the entire collection!
- Deeply Adored: A deep, matte scarlet red- great for those who want to dive into the vampy lip trend for fall!
I’m really not a fan of the glossy, black packaging. I find glossy plastic packaging to look really cheap, no matter what brand or collection it’s from. A satin or even matte packaging would have been so much more chic!
I do have to say, these lipsticks are probably the best items from the collection in terms of quality. Each one of them is richly pigmented with beautiful texture, just like most MAC Lipsticks we’ve come to love. Of course, they feature the signature MAC vanilla scent as well.
In general, MAC Lipsticks wear about 3-4 hours on me, with the Matte textures lasting a little longer (but getting a little more dry towards the end of wear). Overall, they are quite a comfortable matte (not the most comfortable that I’ve tried, but definitely not awful). I really love the Satin texture as well- it leaves a nice sheen on the lips and can be worn a little more sheer if you prefer.
- Price: $16.50 USD / $20 CAD for 0.1oz / 3g
- Availability: MAC
- Selection: See the entire collection here
- Overall: The best items in the entire MAC Marilyn Monroe Collection. I love the variation in red tones and the quality of each lipstick is lovely. I’m not a fan of the glossy black packaging as I think it makes them look a bit cheap. The matte textures are a bit drying, but not unbearable.
- Rating: A