The MAC Primped Out Collection for Holiday 2012 is a part of the Fabulousness series, and includes two three Perfectly Plush Brush Kits ($49.50 USD / $59.50 CAD), each with 4-5 different brushes. It also includes two Lip Look Bags ($39.50 USD / $47.50 CAD) and three Eye Look Bags ($46.50 / $55.50 CAD) that I reviewed here. I have one brush kit to show you today, but you can also see the rest of the collection here.
This collection of different brush sets each come in an adorable leopard-print case (gold for the Mineralize collection, pink for the Advanced collection and green for the Essential collection). This limited-edition collection is available now from MAC.
The holidays are really the only time MAC releases these brush sets, but they’ve become quite a tradition for the brand! Not only are they cute and travel-friendly, but they are functional and high-quality just like the originals. These brushes feature a short handle (which some actually prefer for daily makeup application)- hence the “SE” noted beside the number. All of the brush heads are the same size as the full version, except for the 129SE which is much smaller.
The Essential kit includes…
- 129SE Powder/Blush Brush: As the name suggests, this brush is great for both setting powder and blush, but it also works great for bronzer and highlighting powder!
- 190SE Foundation Brush: A synthetic foundation brush, also great for concealer or cream blush in a pinch.
- 226SE Small Tapered Blending Brush: A great blending brush that fits precisely into the crease but also offers efficient blending
- 275SE Medium Angled Shading Brush: An angled brush, great for applying color to the eyelid, crease, brow bone and for blending- a truly multi-functional brush
- 266SE Small Angle Brush: A small, synthetic angled brush great for eyeliner or eyebrows!
This ‘Essential’ kit is probably the most popular one- as it features five, multi-functional brushes that can really create a whole look from start to finish. The other kits (Advanced & Mineralize) are great supplemental kits, but if you’re looking to invest in a new brush kit for everyday use or a high quality travel one- this is a great start.
While MAC Brushes are quite the investment, ask anyone who has used their brushes and you’ll hear them time and time again say they are completely worth it. Take care of them, clean them regularly (I like the use baby shampoo) and they will last you a long time.
These brushes also have green bristles and glossy black handles. I’m not really a fan of the colored bristles, simply because I much prefer the professional and sophisticated look of the original MAC brushes… but it doesn’t do anything for the quality of them.
The case is also really fantastic because the holder doesn’t separate the brushes- it’s a simple elastic enclosure that can hold all five brushes or one single brush tightly so it doesn’t move around (this also means you can add more of your own brushes)- and it also features a snap-closure compartment, great for small tools or makeup items.
- Price: $49.50 USD / $59.50 CAD
- Availability: MAC
- Selection: Available in Mineralize, Advanced and Essential (shown here)
- Overall: I’ve always been a fan of the tradition MAC brush sets that are released around the holidays, and these are no different. I love the cute leopard-print cases and the brush selection for this Essential kit is perfect for creating a look from start-to-finish. Great for travel, touch-ups or even daily application. I’m not so much a fan of the green bristles, but it doesn’t change the quality of the brushes.
- Rating: A-