The MAC Taste Temptation Collection for Winter 2012 includes the MAC Taste Temptation Eye Shadow X4 Palette ($40 USD / $47.50 CAD), a smoky palette with four different purple-based eyeshadows in varying textures. The entire collection is all about seduction, with alluring shades and sultry pops of color.
This limited-edition collection will be available December 13, 2012 (North America only)- but you can see the full collection here.
MAC Eye Shadow quads can be quite hit or miss- the value is awesome, but as long as you’re in love with all four shades. They usually contain one or two permanent shades as well, so double check your stash just in case you already have it! Having said that, I have heard some complaints in the past that the eyeshadow shades in the palettes aren’t as good as the individual ones, even if they are the same shade.
The shades include…
- Look At The Eyes: a light, shimmery violet (Frost); the most pigmented eyeshadow of them all!
- Stay Sultry: a deep navy blue (Satin); so chalky it’s hard to work with!
- Naval: a mid-tone navy blue (Veluxe); decent pigmentation, but too patchy to apply
- Carbon: an intense matte black (Matte); a disappointing version of the famous black eyeshadow from MAC… definitely not as good as the individual shade!
If all of the shades were intensely pigmented, I’d probably be head over heels for this palette. I love the color selection, and even the texture variety is great… the problem is that it’s so patchy! Even though some of the shades have rich color to them, they grab onto the skin too easy and are hard to blend… it’s just annoying when the most important part of a smoky eye is to blend, blend, blend!
The concept of the palette is a great one, but I think there are some much better smoky holiday palettes this season out there! Also- some of the other items from the Taste Temptation Collection are wonderful, so save your pennies on this palette and splurge on the other goodies!
- Price: $40 USD / $47.50 CAD for 5.8g / 0.2oz
- Availability: MAC (December 2012)
- Selection: See the entire Taste Temptation Collection here
- Overall: I have to recommend that you skip this palette- while the concept and shades are beautiful, the textures are just too patchy and chalky (even though some are actually really pigmented)!
- Rating: C-