Summer is just around the corner, and with it comes comes heat, humidity, sweat and melting makeup which isn’t pretty at all. Luckily, these new Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadows ($20 USD / $23 CDN each) were designed specifically for that environment! These smudge-proof, waterproof and crease-proof sticks were in high demand backstage at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim last summer, and now they are available for us all!
These cream eyeshadow pencils look a lot like typical ones like the NYX Jumbo Pencils or the Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeshadow Pencils- thick and chubby pencils that will require an oversized sharpener. I love pencil-type products (concealers, eyeshadows, lipsticks) because it makes them so much easier to use! No need for a brush, just color it on and blend away with a finger. Simple!
Just as they look similar to most other eyeshadow pencils, they work like them too. The formula is creamy and super pigmented. The range includes both pearl and matte shades, however I find it a bit divided. Mainly all the lighter shades (seven of them) are pearl and the deeper shades are matte (five of them), it would have been nice to see a bit more variety in texture within the color range, however I understand that light shades are mainly used as reflective highlights.
They product draws on easily with no tugging or pulling and they are really easy to blend out with a finger before it sets (but make sure you don’t wait to long, once these set… they are there for good)! They really are completely crease-proof! Not a crease in sight after a long day of wear, but I did notice the colors faded a bit. Because they are so water resistant, you’ll definitely need an oil-based or micellar cleanser to remove them properly.
My favorite feature about the pencils is that they are so versatile! Use them as a wash all over the lid, or blend two together to create dimension, or use them as smudgy, smoky eyeliner, or even try them on your cheek bones and lips! The three shades I have been trying out are:
- 28E: A neutral, pearly beige. This is a must-have for everyone that wants a quick and easy go-to shade for quick mornings, days at the beach or even as a pick-me-up to brighten the waterline (not sure if they are officially safe for waterline, but it worked on me without any problems)! Love this color the most- if there’s only one you get, this universal shade should be it!
- 20E: A mid-tone, pearly taupe shade. This color is gorgeous all over the lid for evening, or blended on the outer half with 28E on the inner half. Keep it in your purse to take your daytime look to a sultry evening look.
- 4E: A matte, taupe-grey shade. If you’re looking for any of the matte shades and can’t decide, go for this one. It looks beautiful as a smoky eyeliner! It’s not too harsh, but the shade contributes to its smoky appearance and it just looks amazing! I also like deepening the outer corner with it too for some extra depth.
- Price: $20 USD / $23 CDN for 0.14 oz / 4g
- Availability: Sephora
- Selection: Available in 12 shades (5 matte, 7 pearl)
- Overall: I’m calling it right now- these pencils are going to fly off the shelves! Amazing pigmentation, smooth and creamy, available in both matte and pearly shades. The truly are crease-free, even without a primer, and last all day (I did experience a bit of fading, but no smudging or melting away). I do wish there was a bit more variety of texture (matte/pearl) within the light and dark shade ranges though.
- Rating: A