The new Make Up For Ever Black Tango Palette ($45 USD / $50 CAD) features four limited-edition shades of the brand’s well-loved Aqua Creams, packaged in a beautiful red and black lace design compact with a double-ended synthetic brush. The palette was inspired by Make Up For Ever’s Creative Director, Dany Sanz’ love of Argentine Tango dancing… and I think it’s a beautiful palette!
Each Aqua Cream is in its own separate pot with lid, which helps to keep them from drying out. If you’re unfamiliar with Make Up For Ever Aqua Creams, they are simply highly pigmented, waterproof creams that can be used in a multitude of different ways; as eyeliner, eyeshadow, eye bases and even blushes or lip colors sometimes.
The four shades the palette includes are:
- Black with Red Highlights: A deep, creamy blackened purple
- Black with Green Highlights: A deep, creamy blackened green
- Black with Blue Highlights: A deep, creamy blackened blue
- Ivory: A bright, frosty cream shade
I would have liked to see actual names or numbers for the individual shades, however either way, they are absolutely outstanding. The blackened shades are super pigmented, creamy and blend beautifully on the skin. The Ivory shade is a bit different in texture… I found it a bit harder to blend, and it went on a little patchy- I think this one is more meant to be used as a soft touch of highlight instead as an opaque cream.
The formula sets after a few seconds of play time, and will not budge all day. I highly recommend using an oil-based makeup remover to get them off painlessly! These Aqua Creams work wonders for smoky eyes… use them as a base all over the lid and pat an eyeshadow on top for the most intense look you can get!
The only issue that I could think of is that after a few times opening and closing the pots, one of them (the green on in particular) had a bit of trouble staying closed. If I press hard enough, it can definitely stay closed- but it’s something to keep in mind and keep an eye out for (you don’t want these precious creams to dry out too fast)!
- Price: $45 USD / $50 CAD
- Availability: Sephora
- Overall: This palette is absolutely gorgeous- the blackened shades are super creamy, pigmented and long-wearing! The Ivory shade is nice for adding a hint of shimmer or brightness, but it doesn’t have the same pigmentation that the deep shades do. I think it’s a great palette if you need some deep bases in your collection, or you can use them as gel liners- amazing, multi-functional palette! Make sure to keep the individual lids closed tightly.
- Rating: A