I was totally skeptical (yet secretly incredibly hopeful) about the Nutra Nail instant Smudge Repair ($5.59 CDN), an instant fix-it for nail polish smudges, chips and nicks. Too good to be true? Let’s see…
The packaging looks almost identical to any other regular nail polish or top/base coat- which can be dangerous. You definitely do NOT want to be using this product as a top coat by mistake…you’ll see why later. It probably would be safer to have made the bottle a different color or mark it somehow just incase. Either way, it works just like a regular polish and brush-tip applicator.
The magic ingredient in this quick fix-it is nothing more than acetone…yep! Nail polish remover! It’s obviously diluted, but you’ll notice the product is still very liquidy and runny, so a little goes a long way. The instructions say to brush it over nail polish to even it out, but I find that thins out the polish to much and makes it look really splotchy. This is how I do it (you can also check my video demo where I actually show you):
- Apply some nail polish to the smudge
- Let it dry just a bit, then take the Instant Smudge Repair and gently start brushing over the newly-added polish. You’ll notice it start to thin out and spread.
- Use small strokes to blend the polish into the original manicure, trying best to smooth out edges (this takes some practice)
- Finish with a top coat to restore that smooth look!
It takes practice to get the feel for the product, so don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t work the first time. If its a large nick/smudge, then just simply repeat the process. This isn’t going to make your mani look salon-perfect, but it definitely beats starting from scratch.
Only gripe? Make sure to keep a paper towel near by and wipe the brush before dipping back into the product or you’ll get the polish back into the bottle.
This product is a genius must-have for anyone that loves to wear nail polish. It’s just one of those things that is good to have “just in case”, and the inexpensive price tag makes it totally worth it. I’ve read lots of feedback from readers saying they had a hard time with it, or that it didn’t work for them… but I say keep practicing- once you get the technique down, it will be worth it!
Before & After
- Price: $5.59 CDN
- Availability: Drugstores and other retailers
- Overall: A great must-have for anyone who wears nail polish, just in case. Affordable and saves you from having to re-do your manicure! Can be tricky, but practice makes perfect.
- Rating: A+