This fall, Sephora is getting a little more colorful! They recently added 14 new shades to their top-rated Sephora Jumbo Liner 12HR Wear Waterproof Pencils ($12 USD / $15 CAD each) line up, taking the entire shade range to a whopping 28 colors in matte and shimmer textures!
These products remind me a lot of the NYX Jumbo Pencils, which are much more inexpensive, but also much more prone to creasing and fading. These pencils can be used as a cream eyeshadow or base for powder eyeshadows as well as eyeliner (although it’s not easy to be precise with them, so you’re better off just going for a thick eyeliner look).
The new shades I’ve been playing with include…
- 28 Mauve Shimmer: A pale, icy lilac
- 25 Green Shimmer: A mossy, mid-tone green
- 27 Electric Blue Matte: A shocking, bright matte blue
- 23 Brown Glitter: A metallic, chocolate brown
While these pencils are much more resistant to creasing and fading, I wouldn’t say they last flawlessly for the whole 12 hours, as claimed. I’d give them about 3-4 hours of great wear, but I did notice a bit of creasing on me. The best thing you can do? Pat on a little primer (I love Urban Decay Primer Potion) before applying these, and they’ll stay beautiful all day long (but then again, so will the NYX ones… so it’s really up to you if you want to shell out the extra cash for these guys).
I do have to say the pigmentation is outstanding- each shade I tried was rich and opaque, and I do like the fact there are different textures. If you want pencils like these that really do stay put all day without needing a primer underneath, check out the Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadows- they are very similar, but the price will definitely hurt a little more.
- Price: $12 USD / $15 CAD for 0.1oz
- Availability: Sephora
- Selection: See all 28 shades here
- Overall: I think these pencils work great as cream eyeshadow, eye bases and thick eyeliners, as long as a primer is used underneath (a little redundant) because they just don’t hold up as long as they claim to. They do have beautiful pigmentation, lovely texture and a great shade range though!
- Rating: B+