Sephora has totally upped their game lately- some of their Fall 2012 launches have been absolutely incredible, and the Sephora Primal instincts Eyeshadow Palette ($28 USD / $34 CAD) is leading the pack! Usually I wouldn’t pay too much attention to Sephora’s eyeshadow palettes (their “Moonshadow” baked palettes have always been fantastic, but their regular eyeshadow palettes were never anything to celebrate).
This eyeshadow palette features fourteen eyeshadows is a gorgeous, snakeskin-design palette. The large mirror expands the entire length of the inner lid, and each eyeshadow is fairly decent-sized (about the size of a quarter). The eyeshadows mainly include shimmery neutral shades, but there are a few purples and a few mattes as well. It’s definitely a neutral fanatic’s dream though!
Each eyeshadow is incredibly pigmented- even the mattes! I was so impressed- I’ve never seen this quality before from a Sephora Collection item. The mattes aren’t as pigmented as the shimmery shades, but they never really are. The only matte that I really wish would have been a bit better is the black shade- black is so essential, it would have been nice to have a flawless, deep matte black. The shimmery shades are incredibly buttery, smooth and intensely pigmented- no need to foil them! They wear beautifully on the lid alone, although I always do recommend a primer either way.
This palette includes…
- Universal Beige No.8: A creamy, matte off-white shade; perfect for highlighting the brow bone for all looks.
- Sand: A light, satin beige
- Gold: A metallic, bronzy gold
- Apricot: A metallic champagne shimmer
- Tea Rose: A rose champagne shimmer
- Taupe: A deep, satin taupe
- Matte Brown: A deep, rich matte brown
- Camel: A mid-tone shimmery taupe
- Bronze: A rich, satin bronze
- Mahogony: A warm, rich metallic brown
- Deep Burgundy: A deep, satin purple brown
- Plum: A rich satin purple
- Steel: A mid-tone, metallic silver
- Must Have No.6: A deep, matte charcoal black
The best part about this palette? The price. It’s an incredible value for the quality and quantity you receive! If you’re in need of a great neutral palette, or you’re just addicted to them (I won’t judge)- this one’s for you. I would have liked to see more mattes, but I’m happy to see a few plus some matte shades.
- Price: $28 USD / $34 CAD for 14 x 1.2g / 0.043oz
- Availability: Sephora
- Overall: I’ve never been so impressed with a Sephora Collection eyeshadow palette! All of the eyeshadows in this palette are fantastic, even the mattes (although not as good as the shimmer shades)- if they would have been a bit better, this palette would be one of the best I’ve come across. The value is incredible, and the rich, pigmented shades are great for creating a variety of looks.
- Rating: A