Sephora is the latest brand to jump on the glossy lipstick bandwagon with their new Sephora Rouge Shine Lipstick ($12 USD / $14 CAD) formula. The lipstick is very similar to the ever-so-popular Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters and the more recent Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Natural Lipsticks, finding a price-point between the two. The line contains over 40 gorgeous shades in different textures (some creams, some shimmers, etc).
They look sleek and feel even more so. Each tube has a see-through bottom that reveals the color, making them really nice for storing upside down. The label is actually on the side of the tube, and the colors are named with numbers on the tubes, but names when you view them on Sephora’s website. They all have a beautiful Sephora “S” shape engraved into the side of the lipstick, which adds a nice touch.
This type of lipstick- medium coverage color with a high-shine gloss- is one of my absolute favourites of the moment. They are comfortable to wear because they are so moisturizing and they save time because it’s like using a lip color and gloss in one! These lipsticks from Sephora are really amazing… the coverage is medium to full because you can really build it up for juicy color, and they are extra shiny (not just a sheen, but a full on glossy shine). They are easy to apply, because the color is buildable (rather than full-coverage lipsticks which deposit it all at once).
The smell is probably the worst part about them… I would describe it as ‘sweet plastic’, which I’m not really a fan of, but I’ve definitely smelled worse. It’s not a deal-breaker since the formula is so incredible. The durability of a lipstick is inversely proportional to comfort I find… the more hydrating and comfortable a lipstick, the less likely it is to stick on your lips for a long time. These are actually fairly long wearing, but just like the Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters, they transfer very easily. They practically jump off of your lips to the nearest surface. So as long as you’re okay with touch-ups, you’re going to be really happy with the look and feel of these lipsticks.
Like I mentioned, the color range is extremely extensive. With over 40 shades, this is one of the largest lipstick shade ranges I’ve seen for a single formula. The textures vary from creams to metallics to shimmers, and these are the three I’ve been trying out:
- Nº4 So Cute: This sheer ballet pink color is really gorgeous for a nude lip, because it has a beige-pink undertone to give life to your lips. A little more sheer than the others, so it’s easy and fool-proof to apply. A fantastic everyday shade.
- Nº19 V.I.P: This hot pink with iridescent shimmer is my absolute favorite out of the shades I’ve been using. It’s so ME. Its a gorgeous hot pink with great pigmentation and the shimmer adds a beautiful texture.
- Nº34 Royal Wedding: This bright cherry shade looks much more like a sultry red in the tube, but since it is a little more sheer, it goes on lighter on the lips. It can be buildable to create a red lip, but when worn sheer it leaves just a hint of juicy color. The most difficult to apply because it is a deeper shade, but probably one of the most comfortable red lips I’ve ever worn.
- Price: $12 USD / $14 CAD for 0.13oz
- Availability: Available now at Sephora
- Selection: View all 44 shades here
- Overall: I’m totally impressed with this new lipstick formula. Sephora has really stepped up their game for Summer! I love that the lipsticks are buildable- you can wear them sheer or build them for full coverage, and they are super glossy. I also love that they come in a huge variety of shades and textures. I’m not a fan of the smell of the lipsticks though, but its bearable.
- Rating: A