When I saw the Sephora Shimmer Sheet ($16 USD / $19 CAD) set at the Sephora Summer Preview Event back in March, I was totally impressed. Oil-blotting sheets are super convenient, so why not have similar ones that apply color instead of translucent powder? This set includes 90 sheets of highlighter, blush and bronzer (30 sheets each) in a convenient travel pack about the size of a credit card (and can easily fit in your back pocket or clutch).
The shades are universally flattering, but they are all incredibly sheer (I do think that’s a good thing though, because applying makeup by rubbing it off a sheet of paper isn’t exactly the most precise way to do it). They really just help to boost your glow a bit without taking up much space in your bag- think of it as more of a emergency makeup stash rather than something you would use on a daily basis. You can fold each sheet in half and tap it over the area you want to apply it to, then blend with fingers… or, if you have the space, do yourself a favour and stash a retractable kabuki brush with you or a short-handled brush… using a brush really takes these sheets from “only if I am desperate” to “wow, my makeup looks awesome”!
One thing I’m not too fond of though, is that all the sheets are super shimmery. I can understand the highlighter being shimmery… but assuming that they are all being used together to give a color boost, it’s a bit of a shimmer overkill (especially with such little color payoff). I would like the set a whole lot more if it wasn’t so shimmery, but that’s coming from a person that doesn’t like shimmery face products in general to begin with. The sheets include:
- Illuminizer: A white, pearly highlighter with lots of shimmer. This one probably would have worked best in a champagne shade, but its so sheer that it really doesn’t matter.
- Blush: This soft pink blush with flecks of shimmer. I really love the tone of blush they chose, I think it will really suit a vast array of skintones
- Bronzer: This peachy bronze shade is the least shimmery of all- it has more of a satin glow than flecks of shimmer. This one is my favorite sheet of all because it has the most pigment, least shimmer and really does the best job of boosting my complexion.
Whether it takes you from the office to happy hour, the beach to a dinner date, or just running late.. I think these sheets are good to have on hand.. for those times you wish you could fit a blush, bronzer and highlighter in your back pocket (because now, you can).
Look Book: Hip Hop
- Price: $16 USD / $19 CAD for 90 sheets
- Availability: Sephora
- Overall: I wouldn’t use this on a daily basis because the colors are so sheer, and it isn’t the easiest to apply… but I think its a great purse essential for emergencies or those moments you just need a boost of color. I wish the shades weren’t so shimmery, and they are very sheer as well (although that is a good thing). If space permits, stash a portable brush with you too… you’ll thank me later!
- Rating: B+