The Shu Uemura x Karl Lagerfeld Collection for Holiday 2012 includes four Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Lipsticks ($30 USD / $31 CAD each), including a nudge beige, a peachy pink, a coral red and a burgundy wine. This collection features color selection and package design created entirely by Karl Lagerfeld, the creative director for the legendary fashion house of Chanel. The collection is available for purchase this month online, and in stores November 2012.
This is my first time trying the Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Lipstick formula, and I must say it’s one of the most hydrating lipsticks I’ve ever tried, yet feels light as air on the lips. I haven’t really come across anything like it before, but if I had to compare, I’d say the texture is similar to the silky feel of the YSL Rouge Volupté lipsticks (but not drying at all).
Each lipstick comes in a silver tube with a clear cap, each adorned with a cute Mon Shu girl on each tube. They don’t really have a scent- which isn’t a bad thing, but I appreciate it when lipsticks smell delicious! The slanted-tip lipsticks glide on beautifully and feel like silk.
They have sheer-to-medium buildable coverage and have one of the glossiest sheen finishes that I’ve seen from the lipstick. The deeper shades like Luxe Burgundy and Mon Shu Red did have a little more pigmentation than the lighter shades.
The shades include:
- Celebrity Beige: A light, sheer nude pink
- Luxe Burgundy: A deep wine
- Mon Shu Red: A coral red
- Parisienne Pink: A sheer peachy pink
These lipsticks are one of the most comfortable I’ve ever tried, however they really lack in the longevity department because of it. They last about 2-3 hours on me before fading, but I really don’t mind because the comfort factor is incredible. You really have to try them to understand what I mean!
Just like any other glossy lipstick, I prefer to stick to lighter shades because they are more fool proof… so I definitely prefer Celebrity Beige and Parisienne Pink over Luxe Burgundy and Mon Shu Red from this collection (I feel more confident with bold shades in a long-wearing formula).
I was quite surprised to see that the lipsticks chosen for the collection were so wearable and ‘pretty’- I was really expecting some crazy haute couture colors… but I was pleasantly surprised with the soft, classic shades chosen.
- Price: $30 USD / $31 CAN
- Availability: Shu Uemura (November 2012)
- Overall: This was my first experience with the Rouge Unlimited line of lipsticks and I’m definitely impressed. Sheer to medium buildable coverage, super glossy sheen, silky feel, intensely hydrating and they feel light as air on the lips. A unique formula that I’ve never found elsewhere. I would stick to the lighter shades from this collection because they aren’t very long-wearing (although the comfortable wear makes up for it)!
- Rating: A