First they catered to the neutral lovers with the Naked and Naked 2 palettes, now they’re calling smokey eye lovers everywhere with the launch of the new Urban Decay Smoked Eyeshadow Palette ($49 USD / $58 CAD)! Whether you’re a beginner or a professional makeup artist, the smokey eye is one of the most desired looks to master, and this kit is perfect for every kind of smokey eye imaginable (subtle, dramatic, neutral, colourful, graphic, etc).
I have to say, I was absolutely blown away with the Naked palettes (1 & 2), I’m a total neutral lover at heart, so it was a no-brainer. Now that they’ve launched this palette, I seem to be channeling my inner runway model on a daily basis, playing with every color and combination I can to create the best smokey eyes! Every girl loves a good smokey eye- it makes eyes the center of attention, and it looks good on everyone!
This palette comes in a zippered compact (I love it- it’s so different) with the “Smoked” title embossed on the top. Inside reveals a mirror, ten eyeshadows and a full-size eyeliner. The eyeshadows range in color and texture, includes lights, darks, colors, neutrals, mattes and shimmer shades.
The formula is outstanding- Urban Decay recently re-formulated their eyeshadows (and re-launched the entire line) and these are the same. They are creamy, incredibly pigmented and blend beautifully. The mattes are strong, the metallics are striking and the colors are vibrant… I’m actually so impressed with this new formula (its my first time trying them), and I can notice a huge difference when comparing them to the Naked palette.
The shades include…
- Kinky: a light, off-white matte cream
- Freestyle: A light peachy matte shade
- Mushroom: A mid-tone, frosty grey
- Backdoor: A deep, cool matte brown
- Blackout: The blackest matte black
- Barlust: Rich, shimmery bronze
- Rockstar: Shimmery eggplant
- Evidence: Metallic navy blue
- Loaded: Deep, shimmering teal green
- Asphalt: Gunmetal pewter shimmer
The palette also includes a full-size Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion, the single best black eyeliner on the market. I swear by it because it’s truly the most pigmented black eyeliner I’ve ever come across. It’s so rich and creamy, yet it stays put. You can smudge it to add to the smokiness of the look, and it will look fabulous all day. It seriously kicks their previous cult classic eyeliner, Zero, out of the water.
Included in the box is a mini Urban Decay Primer Potion- an everyday must have for me! It helps eyeshadows stay put, and can turn a $2 eyeshadow into one comparable to a $20 eyeshadow. It keeps your eye makeup from creasing (which is so important when doing a smokey eye)! I also love the included how-to booklet, filled with tons of different smokey eye ideas, combinations, colors and techniques! Even as an experienced makeup artist, it inspired me to create some new looks.
Look Book: Smoked
- Price: $49 USD / $58 CAD
- Availability: Sephora
- Overall: One of my favorite eyeshadow palettes! This one hasn’t gotten nearly as much hype as it deserves… everyone who loves smokey eyes or wants to learn how to do a smokey eye must have this palette! The eyeshadows are absolutely incredible- consistent pigmentation and velvety texture, plus the bonus full-size eyeliner and mini primer are the cherry on top!
- Rating: A+